Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Image of God's Jealousy

I was reading in Proverbs 6 this morning about avoiding adultery. The end of the selection went like this: "For jealousy is the rage of a man (reference note: a husband's rage): therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance. He will not regard any ransom; neither will he rest content, though thou givest many gifts."

I am astounded to know that Scripture says clearly that a husband has this kind of rage for his wife, to be jealous for her. As the bride of Christ, we also know that He cares for us like a husband. We see many pictures throughout the Old Testament where God is jealous for His people, and for His own holiness. His rage is strong and mighty, and in this we can know we are protected.

We all have some concept of the fear of God, but have you ever thought of it in quite this way? I am protected by this King, and knowing that, I can rest secure. I know that though I wait for the husband God will some day bring into my life, there is One who is that jealous already for my life to be His. I am devoted to the righteousness He has given me, not of my own earning, but through His Son's death on the cross. I will guard that with the knowledge that He guards with jealousy His own glory, and all that declares it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this! i love the image of God as an angry husband, taking out people who hurt his wife. It reminds me of that one Psalm (whichever one it is) where the psalmist is telling God about his enemies and how they're ready to kill him and it says "God parted the heavens and came down" and there were dark clouds and lightning and who knows what else because God was angry and He took out the people looking for the psalmist's life... i've always liked that passage, that same image of protection... so this verse you found reminds me of that. And by the way, you have a very pretty blog.

8:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home