Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Written for Men?

At the risk of being vulnerable before my readers, this morning I wish to address my place as a woman of God reading Scripture. I have shared posts from Daniel and Proverbs thus far and again this morning I want to look at Proverbs, specifically chapter 12 and verse 4: "A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness to his bones."

There are a number of passages within Proverbs about women, but if we look carefully they are all instructions to men. I must state here that I am not advocating liberal feminism, not am I declaring that women have no worth. God has created us with much to offer to those around us, but this must be taken in context of the roles He has created us for. I will not go into that here. As I was saying, there many passages in Proverbs which give men instruction as to what to look for as they meet women and interact with them. In my reading of this book, which I have done over and over, each time I am more confident that this is a book written with wisdom for men to lead their homes, cultures, and their own lives. This book was written at a time when it was not available for all to read. Men were the leaders in their homes, and in society, and thus they needed a sort of instruction manual with wisdom that is timeless. Even today we can see the place of this wisdom and the impact it has on those who observe its practice.

On to what this means to me as a woman. Though these passages are mainly written to instruct men, they should be an encouragement to women to become the kind of woman who is spoken of in their pages. I am encouraged that I have the privilege to read the instructions that my future husband will use to lead our home. I can be an engouragement to him by learning what it means to be a virtuous wife, and to work with my hands the things God has given me to do. I am blessed to know the inside scoop and to fashion myself after God's plan for me as a woman of God. I also use these passages to filter what kind of man I will marry. I will marry a man who is looking for these qualities in a wife, not someone who looks on outward appearances, nor one riches or knowledge of this world.

I realize I have been quite vulnerable here. If you would like to comment, please feel free to leave it here. I will likely respond if necessary. May the boldness here spoken be an encouragement to the readers to be real with those around you as well, and to be willing to learn daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home