Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Monday, August 01, 2005

Don't Wait

Jumping right in, as I just finished my post about yesterday's reading.

In the latter part of the first chapter of Proverbs we are told of how wisdom personified deals with those who do not seek her. I am astounded at the exhortation here that wisdom will in a sense laugh at those who call to her from calamity. This will be because they did not seeek wisdom while they were without trouble, but only when they were in need.

This is instruction to us as believers in the Christ who alone can save us. I recently read in a study a book entitled Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald. It is we studied and discussed the essentiality (OK, so maybe I make up words from time to time) of building up our spiritual reseervior while we can so that in the time when we are without the necessary tools to do so and in desparation for such resources, we will have a storehouse of knowledge and strength to get through. As I read in Proverbs today, I was again reminded that we need to seek to grow daily and prepare now for the future, rather than waiting until we are without the resources to help us get through our daily trials.

As I write this I think of a family member who recently told me that he prayed when he needed to, but that his thinking is that God has given us what we need and expects us to "navigate life" ourselves, only calling out to Him when we are in need. Boy am I glad I know that I need Him daily, and that I don't have to navigate the road of life myself. Daily I trust Him to guide me and help me make sound decisions based on His character at work in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home