Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Why Do Mean People Get Their Way?

OK, so I'm frustrated, and this is going to sound totally different from any of my other posts, or at least I think so. It's not coming from a place of contemplation, but sheer frustration and disgust.

Recently I joined a gym, to remain nameless, but one in town here. There are a number of things since my joining that have irked me, and it's making me realize that only when I'm mean about it do I get anything done. Now don't get me wrong, but I like to think I'm usually nice about things, and correct me if I'm wrong, but so do others who know me.

So, I called this week and made a major stink about the most recent run-around I've gotten, mind you all so far have had to do with billing issues and follow-through on promotions that were offered as part of my membership. I basically laid out that if it was not handled by this Friday, they would have to cancel my membership. I gave this ultimatum in no uncertain terms. Anyway, I finally got my answer this afternoon, and they will have it handled (a check in my hand) by this Friday.

Now the question is: would I have gotten the same treatment had I been nice about it? I would have to say no. I've asked about this specific issue twice, and been given the run-around each time with answers only to temporarily satisfy my questions, and not to take care of the problem. Only when I got mean and demanded it to be taken care of did action get taken!

Is there a problem in our society that the nice people are thought of as softies, and therefore do not hold people to their commitments and expectations? I think this is a sad commentary on Americans. Can't I be nice and still mean business? Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm usually a nice person, and one who can get along with anyone. Why do I have to be someone I'm not to be taken seriously?

OK, enough ranting and raving. Our culture needs to know that those of us who are nice mean business and are strong as well. Next time I might try the nice factor again, and hold my ground firmer while still being nice. I don't like to be mean, and yes, it's possible for any of you who might be wondering.

Well, thanks for reading my venting. Hope some of you can relate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home