Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Friday, August 26, 2005

Who Have You Crushed?

Wow! God's word is amazing! This morning He gave me plenty to chew on, so unfortunately, because I'd like to share it all but I have to go to work, I will only be able to share one tidbit right now.

In Proverbs 26:28 it says "A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted (crushed) by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin."

At first thought, my mind went to who we hurt by our lies. How many people have been hurt by the stories we've told, and to we realize the power of our tongues? We all need to examine what comes out of our mouths, and realize that the truth will be found out.

Then as I was prayer journaling, I realized that there is often a question of whether or not we can lie to protect those we love. It is common to hear a discussion on marriage or courting that includes the situation stated like this: "If she asks if she looks nice in something, is it OK to lie so I don't hurt her feelings?" NO, a thousand times no! Lying hurts, and the truth will come out, often at the least opportune time! Think about this, will it hurt more for us to be honest with one another now, of course in a tactful way, and find a better solution, or for us to hide the truth and for the one lied to to find out later that not only, in this case, did the dress look horrible, but that we were lied to as well and cannot trust one another?

OK, so that was a lot of rambling. So, telling the truth is always better, and more loving. And don't forget that the rest of the verse says that flattery leads to ruin. Let's be honest with one another, and if there is a lie that needs to be cleared up, go to the person and ask forgiveness. I know I benefitted more from someone telling me the truth about a lie they told me than if they had never cleared it up and I found out some other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home