Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Friday, September 09, 2005

Whose Pleasure Do We Seek?

In Acts 12 we are told that Herod killed James, John's brother, and then sought out Peter because he saw that the earlier slaying of James pleased the Jews. After a miraculous release of Peter from the prison, Herod had the guards in whose charge Peter was killed as well. Later in the chapter we are told that Herod accepts praise as a god and was immediately smote (killed) because he did not give the glory to God.

We are told in many places in Scripture that it is not fitting to seek the praise or approval of men, but that we should seek to please God and obey Him. Here we have an example of what can happen when we refuse this instruction.

Today look for opportunities to decide what you'll do based on what God would direct. I know for me that means I have to be honest with a friend, where I'd rather keep myself hidden and not risk the friendship. I seek to please God in honouring who He has made me to be rather than stuffing it all inside and denying that I am a whole person, and that means my thoughts/feelings count too.

Please pray for me to be sensitive to myself as I often am to others but push myself aside. Pray that I will be me and not what I expect someone else thinks I should be. Thanks for all who read this and pray for me, as well as for those who get encouragement from these posts. It is helpful to know that I am pleasing the Father by encouraging others in their walk with Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home