Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Christmas Reflections 2018

This evening I got to go to a 'neighborhood' Christmas party. I'm pretty sure this neighborhood covers a wide expanse. Anyhow, I got there in time to chat with a friend and sing some Christmas songs. As I was driving there, I was thinking about the traditions I've loved about Christmas, and the things I value about the season.

First, above all, is the reminder that God became a man and lived and died so that I could be reconciled with Him, hence the Christ in Christmas. When I tear up while singing Christmas carols and songs, two things are happening here: memories from childhood and singing in the cold car with family as we drove to look at Christmas lights; and contemplating (with a deep gratefulness) that God would take on the form of a helpless baby, dependent on the people He created.

Next, I think about a few traditions I loved as a child, or that I have started as an adult. The two from childhood that I still love, and wish I had a family to share them, are these: 1) A full stocking - the delight at seeing the little pieces of love shown through such simple things that fit into a small space, those memories!!! and 2) Looking at Christmas lights - driving around in a car, singing songs, and taking in the beauty of creative people in how they decorate the exterior of their homes (sometimes tastefully, others gaudy), these are precious memories to me as well.

And with these sweet memories there is also an aching in my heart because I do not get to experience these things now. My stocking hangs empty because the idea of filling a stocking is a community thing, not something I can simply do myself. And while driving through some Christmas lights tonight was kinda fun, it felt more empty because I was not sharing it with anyone.

The tradition that I started as an adult many years ago was to meditate on the 12 days of Christmas, and the deeper meaning that has been assigned to them. These actually start on Christmas Day, and go for the next 11 days. The artwork tonight represented these thoughts as well.

Then, I think about how my emotions are stirred in this season. I have often felt like it was not ok to weep because this is supposed to be a joyous time. However, when I think of the dire circumstances of the birth of Christ, and the stark contrast between His majestic nature and His humble presence on Earth, I am humbled to tears. It is ok to weep openly. And it is ok to mourn the things that have been lost, like my parents and other family members. Christ left Heaven to be here and bring us peace. The loss He experienced in giving that up was severe.

Finally, it gives us great hope! Though there are tears now, sorrow as I reflect on what has been lost, I know that because of Christ's birth, death, and resurrection, I have been reconciled with God and will one day worship Him for all eternity! Likewise, Christ endured the pain of separation on this Earth so that He could make a way for us to be with Him. He loves us THAT MUCH!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home