Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Monday, August 14, 2006

Old Poem, Still thinking

WOW! Two posts in one day!

I ran across this poem the other day when I was cleaning my room, and even though it's old (like around Christmas time, 2003), I thought I'd share it with you. For those of you who have read much of this blog, you know I've dealt with some rough spots as I find God's healing from past emotional scars, so this poem comes directly from a time when God was working in my life to bring some of that healing. I hope this will be a blessing to someone else who needs that healing too. Here goes:

Those Words

How many times have I head those same words?
And yet it seems those have become these, so deeply ingrained in my mind.
I've never thought of rejecting them.
No, I would rather allow them to pummel me than to fight that hard battle sure to leave scars.

Besides, these were all I knew of myself:

I was useless, hopeless, undeserving.
I was the object of shame andn nothing would ever be right...

But one day I met someone who did care.
Could it be true, someone cared about me? Cared about who I was?
WOw, I had to learn to accept love in a whole new way
A way far beyond any love I'd known before.

I was useless, hopeless, undeserving
I was the object of shame, and nothing would ever be right
But then He looked upon my filthy rags,
He saw the words and over them did write:

"You are beautiful, my precious daughter!
You have so much potential to become just who I made you to be!
I love you, you are mine, my joy,my child!"


Though it's been nearly seven years now, I'm just beginning to know who I am.
I've spent much time trying to be what I could
within the confines of these workds, but...
Finally these words have become those words and no longer control my mind and life.

I am useful, hopefull, worthwhile.
I am an oject of grace, and all things are now new and right
For when He looked upon my filthy rags
He saw my sins and over them did write:

"You are beautiful, my precious daughter!
You have so much potential to become just who I made you to be!
I love you, you are mine, my joy,my child!"

(Dec. 23, 2003)

Hopefully this will help someone know there's healing in God's hand, and in time it will come. It's not easy, and here lately I've been struggling once again with some of the past, but I know He's there to heal me, and I know it's going to take time.

I'm also in the process of writing a song from this poem. I'm doing some adjusting of the lyrics to make it fit musically, but this poem needs music. Also, for those of you who might wonder, I no longer think I'm useless, though there are times I doubt myself, I know God is making me more and more what He wants me to be everyday! I'm delighted to know He's been at work in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home