Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Monday, July 31, 2006

Urgency or Contentedness

Lately I have been contemplating God's timing with things and realizing that many times we spend too much of our lives in a hurry to get something done, and well, not enough time seeing the beauty we miss at our break-neck speeds. I recall a few years ago talking with a friend about my preference of riding on a train versus flying to get somewhere. I have to say that lately, due to the inconvenience of the timing when my train gets into where my family lives, I have flown more often than anything else. This week I embark on the first long roadtrip I've taken since college. My brother's wedding...another story for another day...

So, with that in mind I write this post. I have recently figured out that I enjoy working in education, as I have for the past year. With this new found pleasure, I have returned to a desire I had when I was in high school, that of one day becoming a high school math teacher. I know, I can hear most of you gagging right now because most of my friends absolutely loathe math. Frankly it's a four-letter word to them, which, by the way, proves that you need math and are far better at it than you give yourself credit: you can count to four!

OK, enough with the math jokes...The first thing that has been going through my mind with this career option is that it will take loads more schooling than I currently have the time and money to pursue right now, and that is a major obstacle to me. However, nothing is impossible with God. He knows what to do, and He has the power to do it. This does not mean that I will be going to school once again in a month. What it does mean is that God has changed my heart to match His own in learning that there's no hurry to getting there. I am young, and even if today were my last (I have to believe God has much more planned than what I can do today...) God will have accomplished in my what was His will. With this I have been learning that there are many things I want to be and do with my life--wife, mother, math teacher, and so on--that don't have to be done tomorrow, or quite frankly even this year, or decade. God has a plan, and His timing is perfect.

So now I sit and wait for my next job interview, prepare to drvie a long way this week and home next, and rest in knowing that God's timing is perfect, and my own needs to slow down some so I can enjoy the beauty all around me. May I challenge you today to think about your own drive to get things done, often disguised in a mask that says this way you can enjoy it all later, and recognize that you're missing out now? Examine just how much stress you want to put yourself through now in order to enjoy a relaxing furture that may or may not ever happen, for who knows his own days? God holds all your days in the palm of His hands!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home