Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Friday, August 05, 2005

Intoxicating Beauty

OK, so today I am writing again in a more vulnerable fashion, as the chapter I read this morning from Proverbs deals with the kind of sensual love our world knows so well, but has not real foundation for understanding. Among other things, and you can read the chapter yourself for specifics as I will not do that here, the man is challenged to be continually ravished, or intoxicated, by the love of his wife. He is then warned against finding this with a strange woman, ie any woman who is not his wife.

What I thought about this morning is the question that almost every woman and little girl asks herself: "Am I beautiful?" I am reading a book titled "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldridge, and it talks specifically about this desire within woman to know she's beautiful. Lately as I have been thinking about this, I find it hard to picture myself beautiful because our culture is so focused on outward beauty, and we have an outscaled idea of what physical beauty really is. According to the standards of this world, I am not the most beautiful woman around, and I have little to offer in this area. I have to be satisfied with God's assessment, which is much more to be regarded than any man's. He sees my heart and the beauty that He has created there. I am beautiful because I am building Godly character and and seeking to know my Father in heaven.

My hope has never been to win a man's heart through his eyes, and I have been told that's the way to do it. I know that this is not a strong foundation for love, and also, I know the focus must be on the inner beauty that comes from above. My hope is that one day the husband God has chosen for me will see me and be ravished with my beauty, intoxicated by what the LORD has made me to be. Until that day, I will continue to seek Him and His will for each decision I make.

Oh, and for those of you who are reading this and are married, be faithful to your spouse! Men, recognize that she is captivating, and be ravished with her love. Women, know that you are beautiful. You are the pinnacle of God's creation, the crowning glory, an image bearer for the King of all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home