Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Missing a Friend?

Have you ever missed a close friend? Someone you really connected with and who was now a far distance away? I have one of those friendships, a friend I miss, and I know she misses me as well. She was my one and only college roommate, and my best friend. She now lives in a different timezone, and we communicate mainly by email, though it was good to talk on the phone this week.

Today I was thinking about how I will, within the next few years, and trusting in God's direction in this, be moving to Colorado, where she and her husband now live. I was particularly thinking about how she tells me often that she wants me there now, and I'm blessed to know that I'm wanted. I know that she genuinely wants me to be there, not just as a matter of family. I have had family tell me they want me to live closer, but we all know that sense of family obligation, that feeling that they have to say that, or something like that. My friend doesn't have to say that! She says it because she means it, and I'm floored everytime I read it.

As I was thinking about how I am wanted as a friend it made me think on my relationship with God. We have a relationship, we talk through prayer and His word, but it's not the same as seeing Him face to face and being completely in His presence as we His children will one day be. While living on this earth, we are still akin to sin, and there are still desires in our hearts that at times shadow our desire for God. I know this, you know this, and God knows this. I can't help but think that He's in heaven right now longing for us to join Him, but though it's within His power to take us there now, He also has plans for us before we get there. There are things for us to learn about His character and His purposes, and tehre are lives He wants us to touch. I rest and marvel in knowing that we are wanted, and that God loves us so much that He is willing to patiently wait (2Peter3:9) for His will to be done before making us complete in our desires for Him alone. He sees our longing to know Him more, and I know I am ready and waiting expectantly for the day when I will no longer have warring desires, but can focus all my attention on worshipping the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. He alone is worthy of our affections, and I long for the day when I can fully and completely live that out, in eternity with Him.

So, as I think more on this, I look forward to moving to Colorado and seeing once again a good friend, but I look forward even more to the day I will be in heaven seeing the best friend any of us have, Jesus Christ! Know today that you are loved, and that Jesus sees the hurts and confusion and whatever else is in your heart and wants to make you whole. Let Him share that with you today, and rest in His arms of love and faithfulness!

2 Comments:

Blogger Vicki T. said...

Mildred,
Your blog touched me tonight. Thank you.

9:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so glad to hear that you love hearing that i want you out here NOW. It's true, but sometimes i worry that if i say it too much you'll feel pressured or guilty. Now that i know it doesn't bother you to hear me whining... COME! NOW! MOVE HERE! PLEASE!!! :-)

9:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home