Here's what God's been teaching Mildred Jessee...

Saturday, June 08, 2013

Singular Focus

So, this morning I have been thinking about my desire to be married. There are reasons that, at 32, I am still single. It's fascinating how God will get us to process certain things...

Anyway, in a conversation with a friend, I was encouraged to do some study of James 4 and in particular the warning not to be double-minded. As I thought about it, what God brought to my mind is that I want to draw close to Him, and that my desire and purpose is to be singularly-focused.

For the past 16+ years, I have been following Christ. I could have lived my life with that desire to be married driving, and I could be married now if I had really been driven to make that happen. In fact, I had a love-letter of sorts in my 'other' box on facebook this morning. Don't know the person, won't follow up, message deleted, but still...

The point is this: I follow Christ. Period. My desire to be married must be in submission to that of drawing near to God and seeking to honor Him no matter what. There's a reason I am still single at 32: God has had other plans for me during this time, and has not yet said it's time to be married.

I still long for that day, and I enjoy being a homemaker when I can (like now, while job-searching), and these are things I'm passionate about, but my heart's singular focus is to glorify God, not to find a husband and make my will be done. His will, not mine!

Those are my thoughts this morning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found that I have drawn near to God in the circumstances I currently face in regards to Graduate school and can now see that it was a blessing in disguise looking back. Yesterday, I was able to talk with a participant in cardiac rehabilitation about it. In which, I was reminded that there will always be things in life that we need to persist through, they have no doubts that I will complete Graduate school, and that I have found my calling in the field of psychology.

1:19 PM

 
Blogger Mildred said...

Tara,

That's awesome! So glad to hear!

4:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home